Values in Winnetka

Just a few nights ago, after an exciting bus ride back from homecoming, me and some of my friends walked through downtown Winnetka to get back to my house. This exciting journey took us past the village green, down Lincoln, and even past the generic brick building also known as the home alone house. I know this section well as I had a summer job right in the center of it at a new ice cream shop called Adelheidis. This area, and Adelheidis, is largely controlled by Hoffmann Commercial Real Estate.
Along with adding a new ice cream shop, a few years prior they also added five bronze statues to the area. According to The Winnetka Current, these statues were put up by Mr. Hoffmann as a part of a "beautification plan" to make the area look nicer and more appealing. I believe that look is something that the Winnetka community values. 
A few weeks ago I was talking to my parents and asked them why they decided to move to Winnetka. She said that all of the surrounding towns looked nice with good schools but there was something about Winnetka that drew them in, its looks. Winnetka is a pretty place to live, right on the lake, all the trees and the big houses, just the look of it all. Walking down the street this is very obvious, especially in the even more expensive areas. 
The people of Winnetka are always trying to look their best and present the Winnetka area itself in the best was possible. This community wants you to know it has wealth when you walk down the street. It wants you to see the new houses and buildings, the well groomed grass, and the new fancy sculptures. These sculptures are a perfect example of it. Their only purpose being to make the area better. 
However, art is a very subjective thing, and everyone sees it differently. Looking at these pieces of art, what comes to your mind? Do you simply see something that's nice to look at? Something that's just there? Do you not even notice it at all? Or do you see something thats a representation of the obsessiveness over image in this community?

Comments

  1. Hello, Ella! My name is Ms. Blair and I have been observing your classroom for the past few weeks. I will also be student teaching in your class this winter. I am looking forward to getting to know you and your classmates throughout this school year!

    I'm a relative newcomer to the Chicago area, so I distinctly remember being shocked by the beauty of the North Shore. Do all cities value outward appearances like this? How might the effort to beautify Winnetka illustrate differences between Winnetka and other places?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal #10

Race, the Son of Racism